Saturday, September 09, 2006

GPoD: 9.9.2006

Ah, the simple pleasures of life: sitting outside on the grass with a sippy cup full of juice listening to live music--and all this on a beautiful summer day. Today Graham went to his first pig pickin'. As part of my duties as a reserve chaplain at Pope AFB, I was asked to put together a kickoff event for the singles ministry. The brilliant idea I came up with was a North Carolina style shindig, including live bluegrass music, standup comedy, and a slow roasted, whole pig. Everything went off without a hitch. The music was supplied by a band from Raleigh called Kickin' Grass, and they were fantastic. The comedy was first-rate. And the food . . . ah, the food. I drove down to Pope last night and got a room in the Q's. Then, at 0200 (that's 2am for you civilians) I fired up the grill and hefted the 120 lb. pig onto the rack (I had some help with that maneuver). The old gal slow-cooked away for twelve hours over a bed of charcoal and hickory wood, only to be finished off with an apple vinegar barbeque sauce. By 1500 (that's 3pm) the meat was falling off the bone and I could restrain the eager hordes of pig pickers no longer. Some serious arterial damage followed. Graham insisted on a taste, little carnivore that he is, and the goldfish crackers soon lost all appeal.

2 comments:

The Wagner Family said...

Hey! says Caleb. That looks just like my sippy cup. How'd it get all the way to NC? :)

Love and miss you guys!

PS here in northwestern IL, Northeastern IA, we use cola (Coke)to sweeten our roast pig and keep it moist. :)

David and Sarah said...

Interesting! We should give that a try sometime....
Hope things are well there. I check your blog often!
s