Saturday, July 29, 2006

CHIPOTLE IS HERE!!!

God be praised: Chipotle has come to North Carolina! I was driving home this morning from the brewing supply store in Raleigh, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a new Chipotle burrito shop.

"Oh," I thought. "A new Chipotle. Cool."

Then a double-take. I slammed on the break, nearly causing a traffic pileup, then swerved like a madman across three lanes of traffic to get into the lane for a u-turn.

"CHIPOTLE IS HERE!!!"

Oh, the glory of burritos the size of one's head! Oh, the fresh, flavorful ingredients--the free-range pork and the organic onions! Oh, the four different varieties of salsa, made fresh daily with ingredients purchased from small-scale, sustainable farms!* The culinary gods have made their home here in hel--I mean, North Carolina. Why did it take them so long?

It was only 10:40 am--the store didn't open for another 20 minutes. I waited patiently for that agonzing score of minutes, then burst in the door: "Where have you been!? How long have you been open here!? IS THERE GOING TO BE A STORE IN DURHAM!!??"

Knowing grins from the manager--she's seen this reaction before, I see.

"Yes, we're here now. We've been open about a month. We're opening twelve new stores in NC this year. I don't know about Durham, but there will be one in Chapel Hill."

Chipotle is now only 22 miles from my house.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you.

* Yes, I know that 'sustainable agriculture' is a silly, self-congratulatory conceit of the upwardly mobile. But it makes me feel better if I can justify inhaling 4,000+ calories in a little under five minutes if I can imagine that I'm at least being socially and environmentally responsible.

5 comments:

Burly said...

and there's a new trader joe's coming to cary, nc

Stuart said...

Only last week you said that you wanted one now there will be 12 in the state you lucky boy.

Do you recon that they will open one here?

Steven McMullen said...

Yeah!!! I can't wait. Chapel Hill will never be the same, and now I have one less reason to leave town. All of the sudden stretching grad school to 5-6 years does not seem so painful.

L M said...

STEEEVE! We will NOT have our child start kindergarten in Chapel Hill. Not unless you get a job at Durham Tech or Duke [shivers] and do you really want that? You ARE finishing your degree in the next three years, so help me... [random blogers, I appologize. I didn't know he posted here, I'm the wife, I was in shock that Chipotle could so turn his resolve. I had to ... well, you understand.]

David, that is the most awesome news I've heard all day! We've got Caribou, we're about to get Chipotle, is there any way we can import family or cool, crisp, autumns followed by snowy winters? In other words, since this miracle of miracles has happened, does it mean we can wish for BIGGER miracles, like NC just BECOMING MN?

David and Sarah said...

Not unless the polar ice cap breaks loose and slides down over Virginia, bringing the Artic jetstream with it. Of course, then MN would be buried under several miles of ice, but at least we'd have a reasonable climate here. In the meantime, we'll have to make due with Chipotle.

And congratulations: this is our first domestic spat on de finkibus. We're honored that you'd choose our blog to air your emerging differences on Steve's career goals. Thanks for keeping it clean. ;)