Monday, March 03, 2008

The Death of Books

This is old news to many of you in (or from) Minnesota, but one of the region's great used booksellers closed its doors at the end of this last year. The Loome bookstore in Stillwater was finally driven out of business by unenlightened municipal fiscal policy and by competition from the internet. I am inclined to rant, but I know in my heart of hearts that my own book-buying practises have hardly been above reproach: I've probably contributed as much to the vacant building on Main Street as the city council members who shrugged their shoulders and said, "Well, maybe we'll get a Barnes & Noble instead." Oh well, at least his theological bookstore is still open, reputedly the biggest on the continent. If you're ever in Minnesota, it's well worth the trip. And they're finally online now, which is where I just discovered this little farewell:

The website notes that no books of any value whatever were harmed in the making of this film.

No comments: