Wednesday, December 14, 2005

French Jokes

French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney (AP)
Paris, March 5, 2003
The French government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of Paris, caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to surrender to a group of Czech tourists.
It's probably beneath me to post this. After all, I've got nothing against the French, and I should not like to use this blog for anything so illiberal as a national reflection. But First Things has posted a collection of French jokes on their website, and some of them are quite funny. Quite funny indeed. I would be perfectly willing to publish a set of Ugly American jokes, if any can be found. Stuart, can you help us out here?
Thanks to Sarah Sours for drawing my attention to this little bit of fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will look and see what I can get.

The only one that can think of at the moment was that the USAF sent a B52 for a flyby at an airport in the UK called Farnbrough but it missed that airport. Ive included the article from one of the UK National Newespapers. I know that you have a lot to do with the USAF but I just love this story, your mum has one about a commercial jet landing at a USAF base too I believe

US bomber misses target for flypast at air show
By Michael Smith, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 21/07/2004)

An American B52 bomber flew from America for a flypast at the Farnborough Air Show yesterday but picked the wrong airfield.

To the consternation of the announcer and spectators at the Hampshire airfield the US bomber could be seen over Blackbushe, five miles to the north-west.

Show organisers initially appeared confused by the non-appearance of the bomber. "It didn't fly over Farnborough," one said. "It flew over Blackbushe instead.

"You could just see it in the very clear distance. We don't really know what happened, it is being looked into."

They later issued a statement saying: "We can confirm that the Boeing B52H Stratofortress did not arrive at the airfield".

The B52 is known for its range - it can fly 8,800 miles without refuelling. It played a key role in the 2001 attack on Afghanistan and during the Iraq War.

David and Sarah said...

Thanks, Stuart. An Air Force joke, eh? Well, I suppose one shouldn't laugh at others if one can't laugh at oneself. I'm sure that must have been embarrassing for some poor navigator! But I especially liked the official statement: "We can confirm that the Boeing B52H Stratofortress did not arrive at the airfield". This sounds exactly like the kind of utterly obvious, uninformative kind of official statement we so often hear from our government.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I laughed at the French jokes. Not sorry at all that you put it in.

Gasp! And to think that I am a sowo. Luckily I do have a sense of humor and don't think of myself as Euroamerican.
-shelia
p.s. Christmas pics are cute.